Once a thriving marketplace, quiet, graceful Gendarmenmarkt is Berlin's most beautiful square. From 1736 to 1782, it was used by a military regiment, the 'gens d'arms' - hence the name - which had its headquarters and main stables here. The twin churches of Deutscher Dom (German Catherdral) and Franzosischer Dom (French Cathedral) combine with Schinkel's Konzerthaus to form a superbly harmonious architectural trio. Unifying elements include the columned porticoes and the domed towers of the two churches. Only the French cathedral is used as a place of worship. The magnificent statue of Friedrich Schiller, one of Germany's greatest dramatists, stands in the center of the square. Squirreled away by the Nazis, it ended up in the west, from where it returned to East Berlin in 1988 following an exchange of artworks between the two German states.
Approaching the French Cathedral
The French Cathedral
Crazy people in the square
The German Cathedral in the distance
The German Cathedral with George in the way
Statue in the square
Statue with the Konzerthaus